Thursday, February 7, 2008

Great Browser, Fantastic Plugins

How are you readers? Having a great day? Today I decided to write about a recent experience I’ve had using a great piece of software. I’ve been using firefox since its first release. Even then I found it better than Internet explorer (just an opinion, there are lots of reviews on the internet bringing head to head the two browsers). The thing that mozilla has and other browsers don’t is…PLUGINS. Lots of plugins. You can customize your browser any way you want without slowing it down. After testing about 100 pieces of software on my mac, I decided upon some of them and, as a dedicated PC user that I have been till my macbook purchase, I started installing a fresh copy of Leopard (though not necessary, of course). I http-ed firefox’s site and there I saw the Campus Edition. It’s practically the same browser but with preinstalled plugins. AND WHAT PLUGINS my friends. One is called foxytunes. I had this on my PC and it’s extremely useful. It lets you control virtually any media player from the browser’s interface. It integrates a non-disturbing toolbar at the bottom. Cool! Next one. Zotero. This is used to take notes while you browse, it’s really good when you’re researching stuff and want to save some sites, take some notes supporting video and photo attachments too. It’s really useful. And now, the bomb. StumbleUpon. The last of this plug-in trio brings us a toolbar, which is a definite must-have. StumbleUpon is a site that you must register to, select your domains of interest and that’s about it. Now when you hit, the Stumble button on the toolbar, it randomly takes you to a site from your domain of interest. This has helped me find lots of websites that could not be found on Google. You just stumble on them. One click takes me to an art gallery, another one to a photographer’s profile, another click and I’m off reading New York Times. It’s just incredible. You can also stumble videos, photos, and articles from selected sites, facebook members and so on. The power in this little toolbar is just flabbergasting. The reason it has such a large database is that, when a user finds an interesting article or site, it just adds it to stumble’s database through the click of a button. This is very powerful considering the Internet traffic these days.
Well that’s about it for today. Talk to you tomorrow. Have lots of work to do.
Cheers.

Firefox Campus Website