Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Aperture 2 vs. Lightroom

As you probably know Apple has launched Aperture version 2. It has improved fairly much compared to 1.5. As you can trial download it from apple.com, i tested the software myself. I'm a Lightroom user, but open to change. So i uploaded a couple of hundred images in aperture and starting playing with it. Indeed it does perform a lot faster than the earlier version, due to its engine redesign. Quickpreview let's you preview photos blazing fast. It does not render each image as you select it, it just shows you the jpeg that's been stored in the raw file during shooting. This makes things move really fast.
Now, i remember when i started using lightroom. Installed it and immediately i could find my way through the various dialogs and settings. It was very easy to get accustomed to.
Not so easy with Aoerture 2. You open the software, see buttons that you recognize but overall workflow is sluggish and hard to get accustomed to. I started editing some RAW files, and it moves fast until you reach the RAW 2.0 dialog and Sharpening dialog. For some reason(bug?) my macbook starts freezing and i must force quit.
Although i'm used to the lightroom keyboar shortcuts, aperture's ones felt rather strange. Luckily you have the capability to edit them. Maybe that's why they came up with this in the first place. Lightroom has the same letter shortcuts depending on the module you're working with.
Ratings work the same way for both applications. I do prefer color labeling my photos(green for editing, yellow for finished, blue for export and so on). Unfortunately Aperture does not have color labeling. Don't get me wrong, Aperture is a great piece of software, it's just that my workflow, at least, when using aperture is slow, and my opinion is it still munches down your RAM. Although i am willing to upgrade my RAM to 4gb, Lightroom is a speed jet on 1gb.
To conclude, it's better that you download both trials, and try for youself, see which matches your workflow and computer configuration. I find Lightroom a little easier, a cleaner interface, while Aperture Raw processor is a little better but lacks some speed and interface tidiness.

Check them out:

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 1.1.3

Apple Aperture 2

Don't let yourself fooled with the photographer profiles. It's just marketing. Try them!


Have a great day!!!